Gullible conversations between Calvin and Hobbes do keep us hooked, don’t they?
This one was featured yesterday in the DC’s coffee-break section. While I went through it, I found Calvin very relatable and naive and the answer of Hobbes had a striking effect on me. For a minute, I found the conversation between them to be that of a seeker to a saint.
BTW, who do you think is the Real Person?
- The person in the puddle (or)
- The Person looking into the puddle
Which is the truth/reality?
- The Ripple-less Puddle reflecting the person the “truth’ (or)
- The reflection of the person the ‘truth’ (or)
- The person himself is the Truth
The Vedic philosophers would say that the “person’ should be the reality; for only in the presence of the Person, the Reflection and Puddle can be known.
Okay, Let us assume
- the Clear Puddle to the Mind/Drik/Seeing,
- Calvin to the Seer/Drashta/Subject and
- the Reflection of Calvin to the Seen/Drishyam/Object
Like a learned person, Hobbes goes on to say that if you were the reflection then the minute the reflection of the world moves from the mind, the world too should disappear. Or is it the other way round?
If you see any truth to that, then a new set of questions should arise:
- Can the Mind survive without the reflections?
- Will the Observer disappear too?
- Does the duality of the Trinity(seer, seeing & seen) really exist?
Let me ask you this: Can we call someone an observer when he is not actively observing something? Can the observer be separated from the act of observing and the observation itself? I think so. As the act of seeing & the seen only comes when there is a seer who wishes to see a thing, right.
The seer with or without the sight could exist but the act of seeing and the seen is dependent upon him. Like the saying, we only see what we wish to see and not the reality. So, I believe we can safely say that seen and the seeing are because of the Seer.
You might wonder so much for that fictional comic characters. Yeah, I am guilty of that but when you are interested in a subject that kind of streamlines your thought process. It is all good as far as I believe my way is not the only way to seek the truth 🙂