The world is full of symbols. However you decode them so is your life. Spirituality is not free of concepts. Now is there a right way of decoding it. Have we ever questioned this to ourselves? What we do in the name of religion is it the right way to reach the Ultimate reality “The God”? Or are we doing it according to our beliefs and convenience?
Are we the one to show the light to the One who lightens our whole World inside out?
Are we the one to feed the One who feeds the whole World?
Are we the one to quench the thirst of the One who fills the rivers and water bodies?
Are these not symbols to understand the sookshmaarth. Are we not literally translating and thereby failing to understand the deep meaning of the symbols. Bhagavet Gita shlok 26 in Chapter 9 says
Patram Pushpam Palam Toyam
Yo Me Bhaktya Prayacchati
Tad Aham Bhaktyupahrtam
Literal Translation is: He who offers me a leaf, flower, fruit or water with love/devotion. I accept that offering of such pure hearted souls.
We call God the ultimate truth for a reason. He is not like us entangled in the gunas .He is beyond it and equating him to the beings obsessed over the sensory objects is CRIMINAL.
Gita says Ishwara sarva bhutanam Hrd-dese rjuna Tisthatithe If God is in everything then why would he ask for anything from here. There is nothing that is not him in this universe. Then what is he intending to communicate by this verse. That is where Tatva Jnanis like Shankaracharya, to name one has defined this beautifully.
Patram—the Leaf, our wavering MIND
Pushpam—-the flower, our blossomed Intellect
Phalam—-the fruit, our fruits of actions (both levels: physical and mental)
Thoyam—the water, our Chittam
He is asking us to surrender that wavering mind, intellect, karma phalam and chittam to him. Since you are a part of the supreme Reality, he is asking us to connect to him. Now that makes sense, if you do not get the leaf, fruits or water it is okay. But you are in control of your subtle body and that is what you can offer to him.
So, the symbol or concepts that were brought to existence is to remind us of our Real Identity. When we light the lamp, it is to remind us to shun that ignorance and to bring knowledge or light to be one with the Truth. When we offer water, it is to remind us that as water takes the form of the vessel it is in. So can your chittam take the form of GOD(devoid of thoughts..Silence is his language). Offering flowers symbolises the Buddhi devoid of Aham Aakaram.
If we revisit our practices to understanding God, we might end up understanding Us. The only reason we all look up to “he” is to attain peace and to silence that blabbering head. We can do that and that is what Vyasa Maharishi is trying to teach us in this Divine conversation between Krishna (Consciousness) and Arjuna (Mind).
I stumbled upon an old article in DC about Indians travelling to Mars. Was swirled while reading this article which had few of the Indian Martians photographed. It talked about those Indians who might be the first to step up on Mars. Their beliefs, fears, love for adventure, enthusiasm being the first bunch to the planet.
Few questions rose in my mind after reading the article.
- Are we aimlessly walking?
- What is the goal that we are trying to achieve? Is it to do good for: the society, our family, our human race, our self?
- While humans reinvent new goals upon reaching old ones. Where are we going to stop?
- Do we really know what we want?
- Can we take the ‘want’ that we achieve here with us while we leave this world?
- Can going to Mars solve our problems: Our Earth, the scanty resources, the human race?
- Why haven’t we understood and not found an answer to appease our minds about worry?
- Why are we happy about being a pendulum, rocking from happiness to sadness?
- Are we even exploring in the right direction?
- Is development limited to materialistic or to be extended to mentalistic levels?
- Do we not notice our minds contradicting its statements all the time? They call it a one side journey. Will they regret taking this decision to Mars?
- Are we not reinventing ourselves every day?
- Is that reinventing happening out of introspection?
- Do they still not carry the same minds to Mars? Does that mean destruction for Mars too?
- Is abandoning and adapting the only meaning of life? Are we not abandoning our planet which has served us all through?
- What might have been running in the head of a project manager with a year old baby deciding to take on to a journey and never to be back?
My questions are not to put down those brave Martians but to question the capacity of our minds to take such a decision. The Mind which perceives the world on the basis of beliefs and experiences and eaches reflection of the Truth is different from another.
If we have a clear mind, maybe we would not repeat the same mistakes that we did to this planet in the name of development.
Have you heard of any prisoners who want to go back to jail after their release. They will be on the search to commit another crime. We just don’t understand such folk’s, right. How are we different? We also go from one body to another with no learning…one prison to another isn’t it? Never willing to liberate our ‘SELF’.