If anyone were to ask me how religious am I, I would say- I am not religious enough, that I don’t follow it to the core.
And then they play this song ‘Namo Namo ji Shankara’ and you see me grooving along with complete faith and devotion 😉 Although I just said I am not much into any religion but my actions say otherwise.
What we’re really saying when we say we are not religious enough-
- That I don’t know if I am religious or not.
- I think I am not, but I love the God that I was introduced to more than the ones that I am alien to.
- I am not aware of the soft spot for my religion. So don’t finger it.
- I am not like my parents-I don’t advocate my faith but you don’t dare say, your God is the only God.
- I am not religious enough to go on a killing spree in the name of religion but again don’t tell me, my God doesn’t exist.
- I don’t have religion on my priority list. But don’t say anything stupid about my religion, you might end up being on my list.
So, that’s what our head is saying when we think we are not that religious. If someone corners me and puts my faith down, can I still walk past that without getting affected? Not always.
Then again, I am not religious. Why am I getting affected?
Perhaps the problem is in assuming that we know ourselves too well. Do we? Don’t our thoughts and actions surprise us?
Today, if I see my faith painted on a doormat, it irks me. But what should ring an alarm in my head is when I don’t feel the same when I see other religious figurines on a doormat.
We do terrible things in the name of God and religion. And who does these things? People like us.
- People like us who are unaware of our religious conditioning.
- People like us, sceptics, theists & atheists, are only brainwashed into thinking that no faith or one faith is superior or different from others.
Breaking religious conditioning or being Cynical are good places to start but that road should lead us somewhere.
What If we do not Evolve? We will continue being the question mark.
So, the next time we size up our religious quotient, we should keep in mind that we are equally conditioned and ignorant like others. That will help us ignore the religious triggers coming our way else we become dangerous to our own species.
If we get too sensitive or do not articulate our beliefs well then we will go extinct fighting for our religion.